TSANZ Peter Phelan Paediatric Research Award
The TSANZ Peter Phelan Research Award aims to support research and development in paediatric and early life research. This award recognises the contributions made by Professor Peter Phelan who was instrumental in helping establish paediatric Respiratory Medicine as a subspecialty in Australia. Prof. Phelan was awarded the Research medal in 1996 at the 8th TSANZ AGM in Perth, and this grant in his name was first awarded in 1999 at the 11th TSANZ AGM in Canberra.
The award shall be to the value of AUD 25,000.
To be eligible for the award the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- A current member of the TSANZ, and
- A citizen or permanent resident of Australia or New Zealand or be endorsed by the Administering Institution in Australia or New Zealand.
- Be an early career researcher, i.e., enrolled in a research higher degree or have completed a research higher degree within the last five years of the closing date of this application, plus career disruptions.
 A Financial member of the TSANZ who has obtained the support of a proposer and seconder and has been endorsed by the TSANZ Board. Please contact the TSANZ Office to facilitate this process. The Respiratory Nurses SIG would be happy to support the application for membership of anyone eligible to apply for this award.
 The application is endorsed by the Administering Institution to have the requisite work visa in place at the time of accepting the successful grant:
The applicant will remain employed in Administering Institution for the duration of the funding period;
The application is endorsed by the Administering Institution;
If the applicant is not an Australian citizen or permanent resident, have the requisite work visa in place at the time of accepting the successful grant;
The applicant will remain employed in the Administering Institution for the duration of the funding period.
The following conditions apply to this award:
- The Research Award will be awarded at the Annual Scientific Meeting of the TSANZ and must be taken up by the end of the calendar year.
- Funding may be used to support any research venture in paediatric research, including but not limited to; contribution to a research salary, training, travel, equipment, methodology, analysis, technical consult and/or consumables.
- A final report will be submitted at the end of the 12-month period for publication in the TSANZ Annual Report, newsletters, and other TSANZ publications as relevant.
- Recipients consent to publication of their name and a brief description of their research on the TSANZ website, member communications and TSANZ social media. In addition, a photograph and quote may be requested from the recipient for publication.
Note: These conditions must be met to remain eligible for future award rounds.
Your application should include:
- A proposal clearly detailing how this award is to be used, including a budget (maximum two A4 pages, plus references).
- Description of the project in non-specialised language, and proposal for any future work of the research (maximum one A4 page).
- Track record and evidence of early-career status (maximum two A4 pages). Include any significant career disruptions supporting eligibility outside the listed criteria in a separate page (maximum one A4 page).
- Publications over the last five years, excluding career disruptions (unlimited pages).
Note: All text must be submitted on A4 pages with a 2cm margin to the top, bottom, left and right. Text must be single line spaced, with size 12 Times New Roman font. No columns are permitted.
Applications will be assessed by members of the TSANZ Research Committee according to the following criteria:
|Significance and Innovation||25%|
|Track Record relative to opportunity||25%|