TSANZ and NAC Asthma and Airways Career Development Fellowship
The TSANZ NAC Asthma and Airways Career Development Fellowship aims to facilitate the establishment of mid-career investigators as independent, self-directed researchers and to foster the development of high-quality research in respiratory research in Australia and New Zealand.
The fellowship shall be to the value of AUD 60,000 for one year.
To be eligible for the award the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- A current member of the TSANZ, and
- A citizen or permanent resident of Australia or New Zealand or be endorsed by the Administering Institution in Australia or New Zealand.
- Be in the process of or have completed a research higher degree by thesis or publication in an area directly relevant to respiratory medicine but less than 10 years from the closing date of this application (time taken for career disruptions should be stated and will be considered).
- Be capable of undertaking high quality research, demonstrated by past performance.
 A Financial member of the TSANZ who has obtained the support of a proposer and seconder and has been endorsed by the TSANZ Board. Please contact the TSANZ Office to facilitate this process. The Respiratory Nurses SIG would be happy to support the application for membership of anyone eligible to apply for this award.
 The application is endorsed by the Administering Institution to have the requisite work visa in place at the time of accepting the successful grant:
The applicant will remain employed in Administering Institution for the duration of the funding period;
The application is endorsed by the Administering Institution;
If the applicant is not an Australian citizen or permanent resident, have the requisite work visa in place at the time of accepting the successful grant;
The applicant will remain employed in the Administering Institution for the duration of the funding period.
The following conditions apply to this award:
- The funds are to support the salary (including on-costs) of the successful research fellow to conduct a stand-alone research project in an area considered relevant to respiratory medicine and for no other purpose.
- The fellowship shall be awarded at the ASM of the TSANZ and the funds must be used within the calendar year.
- A progress report is required by the TSANZ at the end of the stipend for publication in the TSANZ and the National Asthma Council Australia’s Annual Reports.
- At the end of the fellowship the successful applicant will be required to submit their research to the next TSANZ ASM.
- The applicant must not hold another fellowship at the time of commencement of this fellowship.
- Recipients consent to publication of their name and a brief description of their research on the TSANZ website, member communications and TSANZ social media. In addition, a photograph and quote may be requested from the recipient for publication.
Fellowship is defined as funding for the recipient’s salary that is competitively granted and external to their own institution
Note: These conditions must be met to remain eligible for future award rounds.
Your application should include:
- A proposal clearly stating proposed supervisor and institution, research questions, methodology, statistical analysis, sample size calculation and feasibility of completing the project within time frame (maximum three A4 pages, plus references).
- Description of the project in non-specialised language and proposal for any future work of the research (maximum one A4 page).
- Detail how the funds will be used, including a budget, and how the project you plan will integrate into your career path (maximum one A4 page).
- A track record (maximum two A4 pages). Include any significant career disruptions supporting eligibility outside the listed criteria in a separate page (maximum one A4 page).
- Publications over the last five years, excluding career disruptions (unlimited pages).
Note: All text must be submitted on A4 pages with a 2cm margin to the top, bottom, left and right. Text must be single line spaced, with size 12 Times New Roman font. No columns are permitted.
Applications will be assessed by members of the TSANZ Research Committee according to the following criteria:
|Significance and Innovation||25%|
|Track Record relative to opportunity||25%|